While some of them are simple and fun- like the new pajamas we open on Christmas eve to wear on Christmas morning, others are so much more than that.... like the Cookie Countdown we started a couple of years ago.
Last week Evan asked me if we could please deliver our cookies to the homeless again. Oh how my heart swelled at not only the fact that he remembered but also that he was hoping that we could do it again. When I told him of course we would his face lit up. "Awesome! That was so much fun!"
Could his response have touched his mama's heart any deeper?
This year we are going to add in a couple of new traditions...
The first one is super simple and easy. I saw this idea on Pinterest.
I wrapped 24 Christmas books and tomorrow we'll put them under the tree. Each evening after dinner the kids will unwrap on book to read together before bed. Fun, right?
And since I only had a handful of Christmas books laying around, I borrowed the rest of them from the library :)
The next new tradition is one I am super excited about. This year we are going to do a family advent activity calendar. (I got this cute little house last year on clearance boxing week!)
Each day the kids will open one of the doors and inside will be a little piece of paper with a fun activity to do together.
Some of them are things we have done together in the past and others are brand new. I think that in a season that is busy and crazy and seems to fly right by, this will give us a way to be intentional about spending time together. And also a way in we can teach our kids what Christmas is about... family, giving to others...JESUS!
I plan to just stuff in the activity we will do together the night before. That way I can kind of control what we do on what days... I don't really want the kids to pick out a slip like "Go skating at the lake" on a day when it is -30C outside! Brrr! :)
Here's our list in case you may want to do some of these activities with your families too :)
* Make paper (or coffee filter) snowflake decorations
* Make snowman donuts
* Go for a drive to look at Christmas lights (and bring along hot chocolate in sippy cups!)
* Make and paint salt dough ornaments
* Build a fort and lay in it while we watch "The Grinch"
* Go skating at the lake
* Make Christmas tree crafts using popsicle sticks
* Host a gingerbread house making party
* Make peppermint chocolate popcorn and watch "The polar express"
* Make ice castles using sugar cubes
* Build a snowman
* Have a sleepover under our tree
* Make reindeer food to put out on Christmas eve for Santa's reindeer
* Make popcorn garland and paper chains to decorate our home
* Write letters to Santa
* Visit Santa at the mall
* Make and than give a secret gift to someone
* Play a board game in front of the tree
* Go to the dollar store and buy presents for your siblings
* Deliver gifts/baking to our neighbors
* Make teacher gifts
* Pick out food to donate
* Pick a family member's name and serve them secretly this week
What are your Christmas traditions?
Are you starting any new ones this year?